UH OH! I'm going there! Lolita the novel and Lolita fashion

Before I get started, this is simply my view on the matter. I'm not saying everyone has to agree, at all. I'd actually like to hear other opinions so go ahead and have your say in the comment box if you wish.

If you participate in Lolita fashion, I doubt you wouldn't have heard about the novel "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov published in 1955 - if you haven't heard of it, read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita By the way, no hate at all to the novel - it is beautifully written!


This is just a tiny and shallow post about the topic, so I'm just going to jump right into the connection, or lack of connection the novel and fashion have. I do not believe that Lolita fashion was named after the concept in the novel - the concept being a sexually attractive, very young girl seducing a much older man. I think most Lolita fashion wearers will say that they DO NOT WEAR LOLITA FASHION TO SEDUCE OLDER MEN. It's just sick in my opinion, paedophilia is wrong and it is rape to engage in sex with a minor. I would never wear a fashion that encouraged such a disgusting thing. The people who tend to consider Lolita fashion a fetish as soon as they see it, are probably people who are sexually attracted to it - and for the wrong reasons; the innocence rather than the beauty or stylish elements.


It's also disgusting to hear young rape victims accused of seducing older men being called lolitas. (putting the blame on the young girls is even more disgusting, the men are in the wrong for accepting their "invitation"). So, using the same logic that a sexually attractive young girl aiming to seduce older men is called a "Lolita", if I was to be a chair theif, anyone who stole chairs would be called a "Larissa". Lolita is a name, just like Larissa or Sarah etc. It doesn't make sense to label people in that manner with actual names.


Also, the fashion in the film versions of the novel are nothing like Lolita fashion! So there is no connection there either. The only mild connection the novel and fashion have at all, in my opinion is: The innocent and youthful elements of the fashion, and the youth of the girl named Lolita. (the character in the novel is not very innocent at all, just young.) What do you think about what I've said? Agree? Disagree? Feel free to share (:

No comments:

Post a Comment